Saturday, May 21, 2016

"Yes. More than anything and anyone in the entire universe, I despise the Feathered Serpent!"


"Yes. More than anything and anyone in the entire universe, I despise the Feathered Serpent!"

I pushed my glasses up on the bridge of my nose. Not that it mattered any. This crazy Aztec Demon had requested near total darkness for the interview. "Uh. Excuse me, Mr. Mictlantecuhtli? You'll need to speak directly into the microphone here." I tapped the mic for emphasis. I was not sure if this guy...er...being could see or not, or even if he used physical eyes to see.

The ancient South American entity shifted a bit and cleared its throat. It sounded like cinder blocks in an industrial-sized blender.

"You were saying..." I urged, wanly.

"Quetzalcoatl is a lying, backstabbing thief and I want to eat his heart!" The lord of Mictlan, the Aztec Realm of the Dead roared, slamming his clawed fist down, rattling the walls.

I checked my phone, secretly hoping that one of the resumes that I'd sent out or posted had been picked up by someone. I tried to sound interested and asked, "And why is that?" I knew what he was going to say before he started. All of these ancient beings were basically the same. So and so, Lord of Such and Such took my thingy and won't give it back...or he ran off with my wife...or he tricked me into doing something that I really, deep down wanted to do anyway. You'd think gods and demons, with infinite lifespans and phenomenal cosmic power, would have something better to do.

Like a never-ending, eternally-spanning dysfunctional family.

"Because of the bones! He stole the bones of Mankind from my Kingdom and tricked me at my own ruse! I challenged him to fly around Mictlan four times while sounding a trumpet I'd made from a conch. But of course, I did not want him to have the bones, so I tricked him by not drilling holes into the conch. But that blasted Feathered Fool then tricked ME by..."

I sighed. I'd really thought this gig with National Demonographic was was going to be great.

Art Source: "aztec demon speedpaint" (c)/byKostya-PINGwin
Story and Characters: (c)/by Brannon Hollingsworth

#MMWW, #Makes, #Me, #Wanna, #Write, #BrannonHollingsworth, #Aztec #demon, #legend, #interview, #NationalDemonographic, #Mictlan, #Mictlantecuhtli, #Quetzalcoatl

0 comments:

Post a Comment